7/23/10

The Sneak Attack Protein Drink #1

I'm increasing my protein by double the daily allotment as I am on a hot'n'heavy plan to rehab my notorious knee. The average male needs about 50-63 grams of protein each day and the average woman needs about 36-50 grams per day. A chicken breast has only about 20-30 grams depending on how you prepare it so, I really have my work cut out for me as I try to get about 80-100 grams of protein per day.

Here's a great site to get an approximate on the protein count certain foods may contain!

So in my protein power efforts, this is probably one of the most random posts I think I'll EVER post, but perhaps- just maybe there's someone out there that is looking for a new protein drink recipe and perhaps-just maybe I'll make your day!

I prefer a Whey based protein powder- the one from Trader Joe's doesn't have any weird additives or stabilizers, or any other secret ingredients, and it is low in fat and sugar, which if you do any comparing, this is usually not the case. Most protein powders are, yes, high in protein, but then also high in fat and sugar--not good! Trader Joe's also has a Soy based powder but I haven't tried it yet.

Anywho, I call this my "Sneak Attack" drink because I didn't want this shake to taste like a yucky protein drink...it's really quite sneaky with the smoothness of coffee and whatever favorite coffee creamer you have. You might like this as you're morning drink and get used to it- not just after a work out!!

Ingredients & Recipe:
Printable Recipe

Follow the directions of your protein drink. Mine calls for;
  • 4 scoops of Vanilla protein powder to 16oz./2 cups of milk

You'll also need;

  • 5 ice cubes
  • 1 Tbls. your favorite coffee creamer
  • 1-2 Tbls. instant coffee

Begin by adding the ice to the bottom of a blender, top with the milk, then the protein powder, then the coffee creamer, then the instant coffee. Please follow the order I have listed here to save you a lot of trial and error. I have had lots of clumpy, non-dissolved protein drinks in the past, and the order listed here is nearly "no-fail!" Place the lid firmly on your blender and go to town on that puppy until you feel like your ice is well crushed into the shake. Pour and serve, enjoy right away!

No comments:

Post a Comment