7/5/10

Everyones Best Friend- Homemade Ranch


I had the distinct honor & privilege of witnessing the creation of, and gobbling the most fantastic homemade pizza and cheese bread YOU COULD EVER IMAGINE on America's birthday. I mean, words do not express this one, people! I have spent a decent part of today looking for homemade pizza contests for my friend Greg to enter because, honestly, his creation, which he has had spent many hours perfecting, is simply outstanding!

Greg and his fantabulous fiance, Dee, brought all the ingredients to a mini-BBQ we had at our place on the Fourth and while I was just simply honored to have him and his impressive ingredients inside my home, I couldn't bring myself to do a Special Feature for the blog because I just couldn't imagine letting the world know about something so incredibly special. I want this pizza and cheesy bread all to myself - well, and obviously Dee and Greg can have some too, and maybe my hubster, and I guess whoever Greg says is okay to know about it- but THAT'S IT- no one else! Unless of course, I find a contest for Greg to enter- then he can be the winner and make tons of money and we'll go into food-business together and all will be right with the world.

Anyways, Mike and I were in charge of one of the pizza toppings, salad and dessert (recipe to be posted soon), and since Greg isn't the biggest fan of lettuce, I thought I'd try to see if there was something yummy I could do to entice him. (Greg is pretty famous as his first green leafy salad was actually on our wedding day at the reception, lol). Since we have a plentiful herb garden kickin' I thought I'd try my hand at making some homemade ranch dressing, and I mean, what could go better with pizza but everyones best friend!?

This is definitely the type of recipe you need to constantly be tasting throughout so you get to the desired consistency and flavor you love, and word to the wise- skip the healthy stuff just this once for this one- I used the olive oil mayo and I wish I would've used the regular.

Ingredients & Recipe:
Printable Recipe

  • 1 large garlic clove, or 2 smaller cloves, minced as finely as you can
  • 4 Tbls. fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped finely
  • 2 Tbls. fresh chives, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. fresh oregano, chopped finely (optional)
  • 1 cup mayo (regular)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup milk (or more to get to desired consistency)
  • salt and fresh ground pepper
Begin by sprinkling the minced garlic with a little bit of salt and mash it with a fork, or smash it with the back of a sharp knife until it looks more like the consistency of a paste (don't worry, there will still be chunks of minced garlic- it won't totally be a paste, but you are just trying to get it a little more smooth looking).

Use a small spatula or a fork to mix together the mayo and sour cream in a bowl. Combine in the garlic. Now combine in the parsley, chives and oregano (optional). Add in a little salt and pepper, give it a stir and taste. Add in more S & P as needed. Refrigerate to chill until serving.

Just before serving add in the milk and stir with a fork rigorously to combine. Taste to be sure your flavor is where you want it to be, and if necessary add in a few tablespoons of milk to thin the dressing out even more. (Some people like it really runny, some like it thicker). Serve and enjoy!

You Could Also Try...

  • Stick with the basics of flat-leaf parsley and chives, but aside from that you could add in whatever kind of herbs you like; oregano, fresh dill, curly parsley...

  • Make it HOT ranch by adding cayenne pepper or hot sauce, to taste...

No comments:

Post a Comment