7/8/10

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Dessert Bars

In case you had doubts, I am passionately in love with chocolate and anything that resembles a chocolate chip cookie. I LITERALLY had a dream once about taking a bath in a tub of liquidy chocolate (more like the consistency of water than melted chocolate) and it was the best dream ever! Anyways, maybe I need to think outside the box a little more with my dessert selection, but this is my blog, so for now I'm happy with my choices!

Along with healthy fruit salad I have been eating this "dessert" for breakfast the last few days- I know- "really healthy, Nichole, really good!" But I just can't stay away! And I don't think you will be able to either! And with a little whole-wheat flour, and the oats, you can feel pretty good about it- or at least pretend!

Ingredients & Recipe:
  • 1 stick butter, unsalted, softened at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar (dark or light)
  • 2 eggs, at room temperature (how to get your eggs to room temp in a hurry)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla (at room temperature)
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup pastry flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup milk (at room temperature)
  • 1 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, etc) (optional)

Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.


Next, dump the butter and sugar into a large bowl...

...and mix & mash it together with a fork until combined and smooth. Next, add the eggs and vanilla, and stir well.


Now, in another large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the flour mixture into the sugar mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk, then stir in oats & chocolate chips (and nuts). Use a spatula to transfer the batter into the pan, smooth out the top and bake until the sides are golden and the top feels set when you tap it, approximately 27-30 minutes. Set the pan on a cooling rack if you have it or away from the oven to cool. Cut into squares to triangles to serve!

Things You Could Also Try...

  • I did not put nuts in my bars, but YOU COULD!! Like the recipe notes, you could throw in chopped pecans, walnuts, or even dried cherries!

No comments:

Post a Comment