1/9/10

Crock-Pot Southwest Chicken

Dear Crock-Pot,

I really love your consistent heat and magical powers, especially when I throw raw meat and veggies in you, and voila!!! - in just a few hours you miraculously execute a satisfying and effortless meal.

The way you make the house smell like a warm, cozy, fulfilling dinner really makes me smile when I get back from an appointment at work. And I love how flexible you are; you don't care if I just want you to simmer some soup, or if I want you to concoct a full, hearty meal! You, Crock-Pot, make me a very happy woman!

Now, if you could only clean yourself! Oh wait- you kind of do, as long as I use a Slow Cooker Liner! Again, another magical power!

Love, NICHe in the KITCHe

Ingredients & Recipe:
Printable Recipe
  • 2 cans of corn, drained
  • 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups of salsa
  • 2 Tbls. ground cumin
  • 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
  • 1 cup of low-fat cheddar or "Mexican-blend" cheese, shredded

Dump the corn, black beans, cumin and 1/2 cup of the salsa into the slow cooker, mix it around. Place the chicken breasts in next, and then top with the remaining 1/2 cup of salsa. Cover the crock-pot and cook on low 7-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.

When you are ready to serve, sprinkle on the cheese and cover again, for about 5 more minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve with a side of Mexican style rice!

You Could Also Try...

  • Slice up the cooked chicken and assemble a soft taco or burrito!

No comments:

Post a Comment